Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace
The “One-Day Psychological Safety for Managers” program is a comprehensive workshop designed to equip managers with the essential knowledge and practical skills needed to cultivate psychological safety within their teams and organisations. Throughout this intensive one-day session, participants will delve into the core concepts of psychological safety, exploring its theoretical foundations and understanding its vital role in promoting team performance, innovation, and employee well-being.
The program will empower managers to recognise the signs of psychological safety and address common barriers that hinder open communication and trust. They will explore their pivotal role in creating a safe and inclusive workplace culture, learning from real-world case studies and interactive discussions. Practical exercises will foster trust, empathy, and active listening skills.
Furthermore, the workshop will delve into topics like diversity, inclusion, risk-taking, and conflict resolution, offering tools and strategies to create a supportive environment where employees feel heard and valued. Participants will leave with actionable insights, a commitment to change, and a clear action plan to implement within their teams, fostering psychological safety and contributing to a healthier, more productive workplace.
- Understand the concept of psychological safety and its significance in the workplace.
- Identify the theoretical foundations and benefits of psychological safety for both individuals and teams.
- Recognise the impact of an unsafe work environment and common barriers to psychological safety.
- Explore the role of managers in fostering psychological safety within their teams.
- Learn strategies to build trust and rapport among team members.
- Engage in practical exercises to apply trust-building techniques.
- Explore the relationship between diversity, inclusion, and psychological safety.
- Acknowledge and address unconscious bias in the workplace.
- Discover strategies for creating inclusive work environments that promote psychological safety.
- Participate in a workshop activity to raise awareness of unconscious bias.
- Learn how to encourage employee voice and ideas.
- Explore tools and methods for measuring and monitoring psychological safety.
- Develop an action plan with personal and team goals for implementing psychological safety strategies.
Module 1: Introduction to Psychological Safety
- Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Icebreaker: Building Trust and Openness
- Importance of Psychological Safety in the Workplace
Module 2: Understanding Psychological Safety
- Defining Psychological Safety
- Research and Theoretical Foundations
- Benefits of a Psychologically Safe Workplace
- Recognizing the Impact of Unsafe Environments
Module 3: The Manager's Role
- The Manager’s Influence on Psychological Safety
- Setting the Tone: Leading by Example
- Interactive Discussion: Managerial Approaches and Impact
- Case Studies: Effective vs. Ineffective Managerial Responses
Module 4: Building Trust and Rapport
- The Role of Trust in Psychological Safety
- Strategies for Building and Maintaining Trust
- Active Listening and Empathetic Communication
- Practical Exercises: Trust-Building Scenarios
Module 5: Fostering Inclusivity
- Diversity and Inclusion: An Integral Part of Safety
- Recognizing Unconscious Bias
- Strategies for Creating Inclusive Work Environments
- Workshop Activity: Unconscious Bias Awareness