Become a Program Facilitator
To ensure a group gathering is productive and purposeful there must be a leader (facilitator) to shape and guide the process of collaboratively working together. The role of the facilitator is to ensure that the group stays on track and is able to achieve the goals and accomplish what it sets out to do. Without effective facilitation, meetings and events can easily lose structure and focus, which results in wasting time and energy and little productivity.
Facilitation is a powerful set of skills that all leaders, managers, and trainers should develop. Facilitation can be applied in meetings, strategic planning sessions, workshops and training, and brainstorming sessions. Good facilitators are skilled at working with different sized groups to provide meaningful and productive discussions, which follow process and direction towards a specific objective or outcome. Good facilitators bring energy, engagement to sessions and ensure that all people within a group are able to share their ideas, suggestions, and opinions in a structured manner.
In this two-day workshop, participants will learn a variety of facilitation techniques that help groups of people move through a process together towards a specific objective. Participants will learn how to draw out ideas and opinions from group members and inspire them to become more creative and productive during interactions with each other. They will be taught facilitation tools to consider, what “group processes” to use, how to handle difficult situations and when to intervene. The course is full of best practice guidelines that if followed make the task of facilitation easier and more efficient.
Change Works follows a hands-on, experiential approach to training and development. This workshop teaches the fundamentals of facilitation and offers the participants the opportunity to practice the skills of facilitation through a variety of activities and case studies. Participants all receive meaningful feedback from the trainer to ensure speedy development and progress.
Benefits for Leaders, managers, and trainers :
- Run purposeful and productive meetings
- Conduct creative and innovative team brainstorming sessions
- Run strategic business sessions with results
- Deliver interactive workshops or training courses
- Develop your confidence to facilitate groups of different sizes
You will learn how to :
- use a structured process to running meetings, discussions, and workshops
- facilitate groups of different sizes
- create a presence and level of authority
- create a positive environment
- energize and engage participants
- ask powerful questions to draw answers and solutions from group members
- apply brainstorm techniques to generate group ideas
- manage difficult conversations or conflicts
- debrief and summarize discussions
Module One: What is facilitation?
- Understand the principles of effective facilitation
- Learn the three stages of effective facilitation
- Understanding group process
- Designing an event before you get to facilitate it
Module Two: How to create the right atmosphere and environment
- How to create and develop a positive atmosphere.
- Know how to establish authority as a facilitator.
- How to handle energy levels within a group
- What are icebreakers and how can they benefit you
Module Three: The fundamentals of effective facilitation
- Facilitation tools and group processes to get people interacting with each other
- Best practice guidelines
- Tools and strategies for group engagement
Module Four: How to generate ideas from a group
- Learn the 4 main stages of brainstorming?
- Run efficient brainstorming sessions.
- How mind maps can be used as creative tools as well as recording tools
- Brainstorming techniques to encourage creativity
Module Five: Dealing with difficulties in a session
- Understanding conflicts
- How to handle difficult people and situations.
- What to consider when you need to intervene.
Module Six: Facilitation in action
- Practice facilitation and receive feedback